Weightloss Tips for Success
I recently spoke to a friend of mine who has lost a great deal of weight – approximetely 25 kg in total over a period of time. I was curious to hear what tips he could share with us regarding his journey of changing his life around, so I asked him to write them down for me. Here is his weight loss tips for long-term Success!
- Decide that you want to lose weight. Look at yourself in the mirror and compare how you look now to how you looked this time last year. Do you like what you see? If you want to see a bit less, the time to do something about it is now.
- Why do you want to lose weight? Decide your motivation. This requires a bit of effort on your part, so it has to be a pay of to make it worthwhile. It may be as simple as wanting more energy. Wanting to be around to see your kids grow up, being able to wear nice clothes or just because you have not got around to it yet but you were always going to get fit anyway. It does not matter what reason you use as long as it is personal and they strike a chord in you.
- Prepare yourself that this will take a little while. Very important step – your mind is the tool that will allow you to achieve your goal, so it is vital that you that you prepare yourself mentally. You normally don’t put weight on quickly, we tend to let it creep up on us over time saying things like – “i will exercise and diet next week” and when that comes, we are just too busy, so we put it off to next week. It is a gradual process and to reverse this successfully requires a sustained and consistent effort.
- Fad diets don’t work. The latest diet you read about or see on TV may indeed see yourself loose a handful of Kilograms but take note where you will be in 6 – 8 months. Your body will need time to adapt to your new intake of food and your new exercise regime so be kind to yourself and really give this a chance. If you lose a lot of weight suddenly there is a big chance you will revert back to your old habits as soon as you are not getting the result you desire every week. So it is a much better idea to lose 1 – 2 kg every week before you know it people will notice and you will not be straining to do it.
- Lots of little steps. You gain weight one mouthful at a time so you are best served by losing it the same way. Don’t miss meals. You will only get hungry so it makes sense to eat more often but in moderation. You will soon find out, you eat smaller amounts but you will feel full. Your metabolism works much more efficiently with regular fuel rather than shock doses and starvation. You will feel much better not using all your energy digesting food all the time.
- Enjoy it! You are doing this to improve your health and self esteem so be conscious of the fact that someone really cares about you and wants you to succeed. Be grateful, it does not matter that person is you.
- Simple plan. It wall balls down to improving your health so use the basic information you have learnt as a child. Eat more fruits and vegetable and drink lots of water.
- You can still have it but do you want it? Don’t deny yourself treats such as lollies, cheese and cake but ask yourself the consequences of these foods. Have one day a week when you can eat whatever you like and you will find out quickly that you look forward to this day and that you don’t crave these foods meanwhile. If this it too hard at the beginning, have 2 days a week and spread it out gradually.